Friday 25 July 2014

Surya Brasil Henna Powder: Messy, Fussy Bother

First off, I wish I had taken more pictures for this post. It got messy. And in case you don't read further than this, don't bother with the powder if you are a first time Henna user, get the Surya Brasil Henna Cream instead. I raved about it here and its my go-to-guy for hair colour and conditioning.

I must also give a massive shout out to Your Tonic: the best place (and only!) to order Surya Brasil products in Ireland. I ordered at about 3:45pm on a Wednesday and it arrived the next day at 11am, with a good few samples in the bag. Thumbs up for service!


I was going to take during and after photos of the process. But that would mean that you get to see how much of a mess this made of my bathroom. I am not a messy person, as I get older I find that "Prep is King" in avoiding muckyness and despite all my prep, when I was done with application:


The box costs about €8 excl postage and contains a packet of powder that you mix with warm water in a plastic bowl, with plastic utensils. That is where the easy part stops. Trying to get the paste distributed evenly through the hair is quite difficult. Even with a highlighting brush.

Surya Brasil Henna Cream is a little more expensive at €13.80, but for me it delivers a far superior result as far as colour, conditioning and ease of use goes, and with a hell of a lot less mess. Rinsing out the cream is way easier than trying to get the powder out.


The colour chart is accurate though, I am a light-ish brown with red untertones in real life and I wanted to deepen the colour a bit more without adding too much warmth or redness and this did the colour job perfectly. But oh the mess.

And yes. I am going to harp on about the mess because it took me ages to get the paste into my hair, never mind evenly distributed. And it took just as long to clean the bathroom after. Rinsing the knots and powder and bits out of my hair was pretty traumatic and (unlike the cream version) I had to go in with a massive dollop of conditioner after I thought I had rinsed my hair clean. Turns out I still had loads of powder against my scalp and I ended up using all the hot water in the geyser (I can just hear my husband moaning about the cost of heating the water!). I eventually stood over the bathtub and rinsed with the hand shower set to "freezing-cold-blast-this-stuff-off-my-head-already-please".


Yes it is all natural, contains no heavy metals, is not tested on animals and the powder is easy to store (although all that can be said for the cream apart from the fact that the cream contains a tiny % of synthetic ingredients to help it stay liquid). The smell won't make your eyes water or take your breath away but the mess is really just not worth the trouble. Get the ready mixed cream instead : revel in the fact that you don't have to put a conditioning treatment into your hair after colouring it and rejoice in the silky soft smoothness that the cream leaves you with.

I don't like doing negative reviews of a product, but this is more of a public service announcement.
SURYA BRASIL HENNA CREAM IS AWESOME!!!!

Find your favourite Surya Brasil Henna Cream colour at Your Tonic




5 comments:

  1. Checking out the site now, great shout!

    I had a go of something like this when I was around 12. THE HORROR. THE MESS. THE HORROR AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe powder is is just ugh. But the cream!!! The cream is GENIUS!!!

      Delete
  2. I reviewed it ages ago and have the pics, it ain't pretty. Agree with everything you said here! Waste of time!
    http://toomanymuffins.com/surya-brasil-henna-powder-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Nora! I agree the colour from the powder didn't last as long either. You get a far better result with the cream and the colour lasts way longer!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the Henna Powder isn't worth trying Cindy, I still love using the Henna Cream in Mahogany after reading your post about it :-) last time I used it my hairdresser was even asking me what conditioner I was using because my hair was so soft and shiny. Definitely sticking to the Henna Cream :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...