Thursday 20 March 2014

Nip + Fab Deep Cleansing Fix: good for clogaholics

I was an eejit. I purchased something on impulse. You see I put my faith in Nip+Fab without checking the ingredients on their Deep Cleansing Fix. Thank goodness it was only a €7.95 mistake. In the same transaction I got another Nip+Fab product that I am loving. So I am a little disappointed with Deep Cleansing Fix.


Nip+Fab Deep Cleansing Fix is a 300ml screw top tub of white cream that smells of tea tree oil (it is one of the ingredients). It also contains perfume... and this does smell lovely. I love to use it in the shower in the winter/spring when I have a cold (like now). I put my hair into my shower cap, slap a thick layer onto my chest and shoulders and hop into a steaming shower. The combination of steam and tea tree oil works nicely to unglog my sinuses and open my airways.

This is supposed to be an all round cleansing cream which: "melts away makeup and impurities" that you can also use as an intensive hydrating mask. Nip+Fab also say you can use this as a spot treatment : the tea tree oil is a good anti-bacterial that will calm down spots.


 It does spread nicely and a little goes a long way, and it does contain glycerin, sweet almond oil & grape seed oil which are great moisturisers.
  BUT (see its a big-ass but) the second ingredient on the inci list is mineral oil.


Pore clogging, spot inducing, mineral oil. And this is where I fall on my knees, throw my hands in the air and cry to the heavens: Why, Nip+Fab??!?!? Why?!?!?

I did try Deep Cleansing Fix on my face, to give it a chance, to see what it would do to a full face of make up and it works ok. It doesn't remove all my waterproof mascara, but I always do a second cleanse at night anyway so that isn't an issue. The issue is that even after I remove it like Nip+Fab suggest (with a facecloth soaked in warm water), there is still a horrible film of grease on my skin that I just cannot handle. And no amount of rinsing the cloth and wiping at my skin can get it off. I am no fan of the squeeky clean, stripped skin feeling, but this feels bad. I have to go in for a 2nd cleanse and then a third cleanse to be sure I get every bit of the mineral oil off my face.


My skin isn't iffy, but it is prone to spots and I have discovered that mineral oil isn't good for my face. It leads to clogs and it feels heavy on my face. And I can't imagine why anyone with already oily skin and spots would want to clog pores even further. Even with the tea tree oil. As a mask? I can only imagine that this would smother skin.

Mineral oil does have its uses. I don't understand how it is marketed as a hydrating treatment, mineral oil isn't good at moisturising. But it is good at locking in a layer of moisture. I have found that is is a great barrier product: good for layering on AFTER applying a good moisturiser with proper hydrating ingredients (shea, cocoa butter, almond, grape seed, glycerin etc).


Ok, so Nip+Fab Deep Cleansing Fix isn't a great thing to use on your face, so I am using it up on my body as a bit of a chest mask to open my airways.

And unless Nip+Fab change the formulation and remove a massively cheap ingredient (mineral oil) from what could potentially be a bloody fantastic product, I will not be re-purchasing this. Heck I am not even sure I will get through the massive tub.

I bought my tub from Cloud10Beauty.com who do stock a whole host of Nip+Fab products that I can't wait to try.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent informative review, I'll avoid this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have also just purchased this,with alot of research on paraffinum liqiudum (mineral oil).This in gredient is derived from petroleum that is used in alot of cosmetics,as it rarely causes any allergic reactions and also cannot become a solid and clog pores.There has been alot of hype that it is bad and can age skin,but keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and once it becomes "mineral oil" usp (cosmetics and pharmaceutical-grade minral oil),it has no resemblance to its original state (petroleum).

    IS MINERAL OIL SAFE FOR THE SKIN?

    cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petroleum are considered the kindest,most nonirritating moisturising ingredients ever found.yes,they can keep air off skin to a certain extent,but thats what a anti-oxidant is supposed to do,they dont suffocate skin!mineral oil and petroleum are known to have wound healing benefits.

    so,mineral oil is not an ingredient to avoid unless you have very oily skin,in which case the texture wont feel the best (but again,min eral oil doesn't clog pores or suffocate skin).
    thers alot of confusion around mineral oil,and people who use the information about non-purified mineral oil as a scare tactic.the mineral oil used in skin care products is certified either usp(united states pharmacopeia)or bp (british pharmacopeia).this is the type which is used in cosmetics and is completely safe,soothing,non irritating,and is perfectly healthy for skin....

    So i will try this out and see what happens.
    hope this helps

    lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,
      Thanks for your comment! As always you are entitled to your opinion and I am glad that you chose to bring this up. Mineral Oil ( a derivative of petroleum) may well be a product of natural origin, but Chlorine is also naturally occuring substance...

      Unfortunately, for me and my family, mineral oil based products tend to irritate our skins (my daughter has eczema and it is one of the things that triggers and outbreak... I have done the tests) so I have to be careful about what we use. But this is just my opinion.... and we are each entitled to them and our experiences with certain products!

      THanks for reading though and taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...